Charlottenburg is located in Berlin's inner city, west of the Großer Tiergarten park.
Its historic core, the former village green of Alt Lietzow, is situated on the southern shore of the Spree River running through the Berlin glacial valley. Juni road, former Charlottenburger Chaussee, which runs eastwards from Charlottenburg Gate through the Tiergarten park to Brandenburg Gate, connects Charlottenburg with the historic centre of Berlin-Mitte.
Lietzow (also called Lietze, Lutze, Lutzen, Lütze, Lützow, Lusze and Lucene) is first documented in a 1239 deed.
Charlottenburg became part of the new Prussian Province of Brandenburg in 1815 after the Napoleonic Wars.As a result, the Lietzow farmstead probably was expanded to a village.In the course of the Protestant Reformation, Elector Joachim II Hector of Brandenburg confiscated the estates and dissolved the nunnery in 1558.The king served as the town's mayor until the historic village of Lietzow was incorporated into Charlottenburg in 1720.Frederick's successor as king, Frederick William I of Prussia, rarely stayed at the palace, which depressed the small town of Charlottenburg.
Singlespeed berlin charlottenburg
When Frederick II died in 1786, his nephew Frederick William II succeeded him, and Charlottenburg became the favourite royal residence, and remained so for his son and successor Frederick William III (reigned 1797-1840).After the defeat of the Prussian army at Jena in 1806, the French occupied Berlin.In the north and west, the Berlin Ringbahn and the Bundesautobahn 100 (Stadtring) mark the border with the Charlottenburg-Nord and Westend suburbs.Adjacent in the south is the territory of Wilmersdorf.Within the Margraviate of Brandenburg, on the land occupied by nowadays Charlottenburg there were three settlements in the late Middle Ages: the farmsteads Lietzow (pronounced leat-tsow) south of the Spree and Casow (pr.
caasow) beyond the river, as well as a further settlement called Glienicke (pr. Although these names are of Slavic origin, the settlements are likely to have had a mixed Slavic and German population.
Established as a town in 1705 and named after late Sophia Charlotte of Hanover, Queen consort of Prussia, it is best known for Charlottenburg Palace, the largest surviving royal palace in Berlin, and the adjacent museums.
Charlottenburg was an independent city to the west of Berlin until 1920 when it was incorporated into "Groß-Berlin" (Greater Berlin) and transformed into a borough.
Ecclesiastically, Lietzow came under the Wilmersdorf parish, the priests reached it from there by the so-called Priesterweg (priest's way), on the line of the streets now called Leibnizstraße, Konstanzer Straße and Brandenburgische Straße.
In 1695, Sophia Charlotte of Hanover received Lietzow from her husband, Elector Frederick III of Brandenburg, in exchange for her estates in Caputh and Langerwisch near Potsdam.